h+ Magazine

Welcome To Mixed Reality

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Reality just became “mixed” , a little bit more strange, and possibly a whole lot more interesting.

[See the full post at: Welcome To Mixed Reality]

Peter
    marqueso
    Participant

Hello, I am an architecture student currently researching for my thesis. I am interested in the “architectural” implications of such technology. How do you see it changing the way we build/interact/maintain structures. I am interested in ways beyond just using augmented reality to change light bulbs or to put columns in the right location.

Could augmented/virtual reality could use the democratization of the digital world to influence the real world? Are architects obsolete in a digital realm?

Marquez
    quezmar411@gmail.com

Peter

I don’t think augmented reality or virtual reality technologies will make architects obsolete. What we do see is an increasing merger of the real physical world and the digital realm. So architects not only design buildings with digital tools but also have to consider the role of digital information systems in the built environment.

In the future when you design a space, you will design both its physical parameters, the actual building, and its virtual parameters; the augmented reality world it contains and which will provide many of its primary functions.

Consider the augmented reality home doesn’t need light switches,or any control interfaces of this sort since these can all be virtual augmented reality displays.

Of course the appearance of a space or structure could become primarily virtual. In this case the built environment might become little more than a series of blank white regions on which to project the virtual world, and interiors would consist of functional but “blank” spaces.

You wouldn’t need to hang art of course, since it could appear wherever and whenever it was wanted. There wouldn’t be any need to paint to change the color of a room. Etc.

But all of these virtual objects and mixed reality environments still need to be designed and created.

Now this doesn’t mean architects are safe from becoming obsolete. But I’d look at the rise of creative artificial intelligences and genetic design methods, not AR and VR to accelerate that process.

marqueso
    Participant

Thanks for the very interesting reply. I like the idea of an increasing merger of reality and the digital world. Would you call this a convergent phenomenon? I have been thinking also about what virtual or augmented reality really is, and also where it began. We think about a more virtual society in the future but are we a virtual society already? Have we always been a virtual society, as in, to be human is to seek the virtual experience? and then to ask, what then is virtual? What is the difference between a projection on the wall and a projection directly into your eyes? Maybe virtual reality can simply be seen as a simulation overlaid onto the world. Would this mean theater is in effect a virtual experience? Also, to think back to the beginning of virtual tech, could this be something like Chinese shadow puppets?

It is very interesting to me to see how our modern virtual reality experience is simply a more powerful tool that multiplies a natural tendency of humans. I think augmented reality is the gateway for a tool to multiply the imagination. Mix VR with EEG monitors and the possibilities would indeed be mindblowing.

More real than the imagination.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.