h+ Magazine

Video Games as Cognitive Enhancement

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Whether playing video games has negative effects is something that has been debated for 30 years, in much the same way that rock and roll, television, and even the novel faced much the same criticisms in their time.

[See the full post at: Video Games as Cognitive Enhancement]

Samantha Atkins
    Participant

The problem I have with video games is how addictive they are. I have noticed in myself and other gamers that months can be eaten where all discretionary time goes into the game. When I talk with a bright friend and they complain of being brain dead because they have run on less than 5-6 hours of sleep a day for weeks because they got into the latest cool game then clearly something is not good about video games and how they impact people. If I am running on a sleep deficit I am effectively 10-20 points lower in effective IQ. This is without even mentioning that I have spent gobs of time that could have more directly increased skills needed in my profession or gone to writing those articles/books or into the startup product ideas.

So the real story on how good/bad video games are for us is much more nuanced. Video games in a way give a false sense of agency and productivity.

Peter

I agree. I’m more interested in the underlying dynamics of interaction in games and how that might be applied to products that are not games.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.