h+ Magazine

Understanding Scarcity and Post-Scarcity

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter

It’s frustrating when people insist we are already living in a Post-Scarcity civilization.

[See the full post at: Understanding Scarcity and Post-Scarcity]

Marcos
    Participant

Not literally impossible, I mean, I can always strangle the air out of you or lock ya in a dark cage, no?

But you can never get to 100% anyways.. it’s a self-contradictory concept. Think about it.

.. If not materially, at least as bound by monkey psychology.

Singularity
    Participant

Yes Marcos I appreciate the strangulation point regarding the abundance of air, but despite rare strangulation the fact remains air is free and generally we breathe it 99.999% unhindered.

Most importantly you should note the part in the article where I wrote: “No accurate analogy exists to define Post-Scarcity because we haven’t reached Post-Scarcity. One close analogy is the air we breathe.”

Air is the closest example we have but I readily admit it is not Post-Scarcity due to strangulation, or the lack of air underwater.

The point is we can get to 100% resilience, and security, regarding resources; with sufficient technology. Sadly we don’t have the technology yet, thus people can be strangled and not everything is free in the manner far beyond the freedom of free air.

Marcos
    Participant

“note the part in the article where”

Oh, I see.. yes, I agree.

Although, if enough coercion bring it to the realm of possibility and, if advanced enough technology is indistinguishable from magic then, wouldn’t the criticism towards people mentioning “artificial-scarcity” under Post-scarcity be moot? The latter being as impossible as the former given the latter.

Perhaps most disturbingly, when they “insist we are already living in a Post-Scarcity civilization”, they could be right for the wrong — and less amusing 🙂 — reasons [1].

MM

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_hypothesis

Jer
    Participant

I appreciate defining the ‘now’ as artificial scarcity and ‘then’ as post-scarcity however you define reasonable wants or needs in such a universe, but how to go forward?
    I suppose the easiest way is to implement programs of universal access – perhaps starting with those items essential to human welfare (your ability to exist) and productivity (your ability to contribute) that cannot be easily created by one-self: access to shelter and food, followed by access to health services, current education and productivity tools (work). Perhaps we could use the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs as a post-scarcity roadmap. That all being said, I am not convinced a post-scarcity system could be implemented without a centrally planned system (which isn’t to necessarily say a forced work system) – however, you define that. That would likely be the hardest and primary mental and ideological leap to be made.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.