h+ Magazine

To Survive, We Must Go Extinct — Apocalyptic Terrorism and Transhumanism

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Perhaps it’s time to figure out ways to redesign our cognitive architectures so that people are less likely to adopt faith-based, delusional thinking about how the world ought to be.

[See the full post at: To Survive, We Must Go Extinct — Apocalyptic Terrorism and Transhumanism]

William
    Participant

“It follows that if even 1% of (Muslims) were to hold “active apocalyptic” views, humanity could be in for a catastrophe like nothing we’ve ever experienced before.”

This sounds really weird. And what about the 21 million Christians today? What if they were to hold “active apocalyptic” views? I hope you don’t mean to say Muslims are more likely than Christians to hold these views. That would be a bit… I don’t know. Discriminatory?

Marcos
    Participant

And how do you suggest this be accomplished with people who, as you note, reject science in the first place? Sounds like a catch 22 to me.

Unfortunately the most likely end result is the old adage: who live by sword die by the sword.

Peter

William, thanks for the feedback.

The article also references the Pew study which shows both growth in Christian and Muslim religions and includes imagery referencing Christian apocalyptic beliefs. Various subgroups of major religions hold apocalyptic beliefs as is mentioned in the text and smaller groups also do. The article for example states, “some US politicians hoping to be the next POTUS have fostered close ties with Christian leaders who believe the Rapture is imminent, and that the US must join Israel now in a nuclear first strike against Iran.”

Also the author suggests a solution, “Perhaps it’s time to figure out ways to redesign our cognitive architectures so that people are less likely to adopt faith-based, delusional thinking about how the world ought to be. We’ve had more or less the same mental machinery for tens of thousands of years, and it served us well in the grassy savanna of East Africa. But our old patterns of reasoning about the world could be lethal in an environment cluttered with doomsday mechanisms.”

Redford
    Participant

Hi, Phil Torres. Physicist and mathematician Prof. Frank J. Tipler’s Omega Point cosmology, which has been published and extensively peer-reviewed in leading physics journals, is a proof (i.e., mathematical theorem) demonstrating that sapient life (in the form of, e.g., immortal superintelligent human-mind computer-uploads and artificial intelligences) is required by the known laws of physics (viz., the Second Law of Thermodynamics, General Relativity, and Quantum Mechanics) to take control over all matter in the universe, for said life to eventually force the collapse of the universe, and for the computational resources of the universe (in terms of both processor speed and memory space) to diverge to infinity as the universe collapses into a final singularity, termed the Omega Point. Said Omega Point cosmology is also an intrinsic component of the Feynman-DeWitt-Weinberg quantum gravity/Standard Model Theory of Everything (TOE) correctly describing and unifying all the forces in physics, of which TOE is itself mathematically forced by the aforesaid known physical laws.

The Omega Point final singularity has all the unique properties (quiddities) claimed for God in the traditional religions. For much more on Prof. Tipler’s Omega Point cosmology and the details on how it uniquely conforms to, and precisely matches, the cosmology described in the New Testament, see my following article, which also addresses the societal implications of the Omega Point cosmology:

* James Redford, “The Physics of God and the Quantum Gravity Theory of Everything”, Social Science Research Network (SSRN), Sept. 10, 2012 (orig. pub. Dec. 19, 2011), 186 pp., doi:10.2139/ssrn.1974708.

Additionally, in the below resource are different sections which contain some helpful notes and commentary by me pertaining to multimedia wherein Prof. Tipler explains the Omega Point cosmology and the Feynman-DeWitt-Weinberg quantum gravity/Standard Model TOE.

* James Redford, “Video of Profs. Frank Tipler and Lawrence Krauss’s Debate at Caltech: Can Physics Prove God and Christianity?”, alt.sci.astro, Message-ID: jghev8tcbv02b6vn3uiq8jmelp7jijluqk[at sign]4ax[period]com , July 30, 2013.

Robert
    Participant

The redesign of our ‘cognitive architectures’ is already taking place and it’s intended to blow faith based religious delusion right out of the water. But not in the way that was ever expected. But if anyone thinks they’re up to TESTING something new, check this link. http://www.energon.org.uk

Giulio Prisco
    Participant

Re “Perhaps it’s time to figure out ways to redesign our cognitive architectures so that people are less likely to adopt faith-based, delusional thinking about how the world ought to be.”

Some people would say that transhumanism itself a “faith-based, delusional thinking about how the world ought to be.” If so, by eradicating that kind of thinking, trashumanism will eradicate itself.

In general, confidence in good outcomes against the odds is a “faith-based, delusional thinking about how the world ought to be.” I most certainly don’t want to eradicate that kind of thinking, because it’s the source of all good things.

You have your opinion, I disagree, and that’s perfectly fine. But I hope you are not implying that transhumanist societies should force believers to submit to cognitive restructuring, which would be pure totalitarianism, Hitler-flavored.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.