h+ Magazine

The Story of Us

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome little one. We’ve been waiting for you. Today and every day is a celebration of our lives together!

But imagine how cruel, lonely, and unfair archaic human existence was before Us. Before The Connection.

[See the full post at: The Story of Us]

Michael
    Participant

Does anyone else notice how severely f*cked up this vision of the future is? Not just on the moral level of “approved experiences only” – but on the practical level, because a society in which everything is connected is extremely brittle and subject to systemic failure. With all due respect, David Agnew, I hope this is very dry satire, and you see this outcome as just as unpalatable as it is impossible. And it IS impossible, because individuality is an evolutionary adaptation to prevent pandemic collapse. Clone populations are far, far less robust than genetically diverse populations – and the same rules are at play in the life cycle of empires, which you’ll notice start to crumble as soon as they start restricting divergent thought. Social diversity is a healthy trait, and this future is maladaptive.

But it’s not JUST maladaptive…it’s morally opposed to choice, creativity, and everything that transhumanists claim to stand for. If you’re serious in your celebration of this vision, you might benefit from taking some time with theodicy in order to appreciate the need for individuality and the possibility of making “wrong” choices in a “good” cosmos.

Without a disclaimer, this comes off as ignorant and sociopathic propaganda that woefully misrepresents the aims and moral standing of transhumanism, and reflects extremely poorly on this publication…

Peter

I agree. The suggested future is so obviously undesirable, that it seemed, well, obvious.

Apparently not.

Michael
    Participant

Undesirable to you and I. But I was turned onto this article by people who were certain it was propaganda, and it’s easy enough to make that mistake when so much of this site is utterly devoid of irony. A sarc mark or something would be nice…

Peter

I added a note at the start to clarify. Thanks for your feedback!

Michael
    Participant

Cool, that definitely helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.