h+ Magazine

The Nature of Transhuman Nature

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Neurobiological Transhumanism and Genetic Enlightenment.

[See the full post at: The Nature of Transhuman Nature]

Marcos
    Participant

Whoa, does this means that the “International Summit on Human Gene Editing”[1][2] was all for nought?! Just a sideshow to the inexorable march of progress.

Does such a unilateral decision on the part of, I assume, uninformed “authorities” from 1 country imply a new kind of arms race? A race which is not won but instead the least uninformed among them all eventually remains standing?

I hope I’m missing something here.

[1] https://hplusmagazine.com/2015/12/01/video-international-summit-on-human-gene-editing/
    [2] https://hplusmagazine.com/groups/h-magazine/forum/topic/why-treat-gene-editing-differently-in-two-types-of-human-cells/#post-29383

Peter
    Participant

Just like Marcos called it in his comment on “Why treat gene editing differently in two types of human cells?” article it’s a Pandora box.
    However I don’t think it’s possible to not open it just as it wasn’t possible not to create atomic bomb once all knowledge required for it was gathered.
    Facing new dangers is just dark side of progress and we simply must learn to deal with them.

Marcos
    Participant

Hey, nice one quoting myself there. ^_^

> However I don’t think it’s possible to not open it

True, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to nudge it in the most positive direction possible. And taking the Summit in consideration is an opportunity to do so. How many can we afford to waste? It will only get harder and harder to take them, the consequences direr and direr. We should be practicing now.

> Facing new dangers is just dark side of progress and we simply must learn to deal with them.

Caution is an appropriate coping mechanism, isn’t it? : )

PS (to the 1st Peter :-D): email notifications are working now. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.