h+ Magazine

The Arcane Arts of Experimental Instrument Design — 3DMIN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter

From the dawn of civilization, musicians could always be counted on as the ones inventing the truly weird technologies to make noise. Here – bang on this. Blow into this. It’ll make some sound; it’ll be noisy; it’ll get everyone’s attention. And so, the art of such designs continues.

[See the full post at: The Arcane Arts of Experimental Instrument Design — 3DMIN]

Marcos
    Participant

What I need is real simple. A small (enough to use with a holder) harmonica with synthesizing capabilities.

Simply select (with a switch or lever) an instrument — including flutes, oboe, trumpets, assorted brass and wind instruments but not necessarily limited to them (not unlike keyboard are not limited to the piano or clavichords), and of course the harmonica itself — and, like an electric guitar, plug to the output (passing through whatever filters you may like, maybe even effect pedals), done.

Midi input and, specially, output would be nice. Sample loading through memory cards (mini sds or smaller) into “custom instruments”, so I can play chipmusic, live, with an actual physical instrument (and not a cell phone) would be awesome.

Something like this, together with a keyboard/synth would enable one to play almost anything =) at least until we can add another set of arms with brain interfaces.

Peter

Seems like this would be possible, with a custom controller and software, say by using Omnisphere.

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/omnisphere.php

Marcos
    Participant

ya, that should do for the sampling and output part, similar to packages such as the Quantum Leap RA or their Colossus library, although I see the realism seems to be improving? (exponentially? LOL), and emulation of analog inflections would be very important to instruments like this.

I specially like the choirs, I saw some other product somewhere in which you could even TYPE the exact phonemes you wanted (even words I guess, tho I’d hope IPA would be even better “without loss of generality” 😉 actually increasing generality). This would finally allow me to compose Satanic Lyrics in Latin! Isn’t that cool? Sure, and throw in a few Gregorian Chants so religious people don’t feel too Trolled.

Now, for the input stage, I was thinking something along the lines of the technology developed for stuff like Guitar Hero and others like it (dance games, I suppose? or is that simple voice cancellation as Karaoke?). Catch the tones/frequencies and convert them to midi to feed to the software above or directly to output (if there is no technology yet to replace the presence of actual analog instruments with speakers, which I’m guessing there isn’t, specially in such small size, then there is no difference what tech you use for output, just output to midi and use whatever is available locally).

Another challenge would be to silence the harmonica output without disrupting the musician’s feel of it. The air would have to be redirected, measured for frequencies and other inflection/subtleties (which would make use of those new software capabilities) then somehow dispersed without impacting pressure or feeding back into the sensors.. all while maintaining a small form factor.

The irony would be to have to synthesize the sound of an harmonica if such mechanism cannot be bypassed =)

Peter

It might be fun to start a group of transhumanist musical instrument designers.

I recently met Moldover who is one of the pioneers of an area called “controllerism”. He’s a super nice guy, fun musician, and he invents musical instruments and controller interfaces.

Home

Oh he can sing too. 🙂

Marcos
    Participant

Cool stuff, he mixes visuals too?

Not sure I fall into any of those categories (musician, transhumanist, designer, instrument…) but sure, I can always throll in my 2 cents. =)

I clicked “Join Group”, which appears when I try to reply to posts — which invariably says I cannot reply, I must find the link back to the original article — it did not help to enable replies either. lol

Peter

Can you send me a screen shot?

Marcos
    Participant

It works now.. probably the join group did it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.