h+ Magazine

Synthetic Meat — Passes Taste Tests, But Still Five Years Away from Commercial Availability

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Modern Meadow believes that increasing livestock herds is not the answer. There is a better way and our London hamburger taste test of last year is showing us the way. Growing meat from stem cells cultures at an industrial scale is the answer.

[See the full post at: Synthetic Meat — Passes Taste Tests, But Still Five Years Away from Commercial Availability]

anthony
    Participant

Sorry, but I don’t trust synthetic food. We still don’t fully understand the chemical makeup of food and how the body processes it. There is already too much man-made interference with the food supply. I think most diseases are directly related to man thinking that he knows better than Nature.

Lest anyone think I’m anti-technology, let me reassure you that I’m not. Technology is our ticket to a better future. I just think it should be used to make natural processes available to more people, not to replace those processes.

Peter

Certainly that is the common reaction, but consider the cleanliness and health issues related to livestock and excessive use of antibiotics in raising animals. Which is really “grosser”, cultured tissue grown in a lab or antibiotic laced muscle tissue taken from slaughtered animals? Even meat taken from antibiotic free animals is exposed to a wide variety of bacteria and other organisms.

I think there obviously needs to be testing for healthfulness and measurement of any changes in nutritional content in comparison to meat taken from animals, but it seems to me that this is a solvable problem.

Coming soon…fake bacon you’ll be happy about eating.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.