h+ Magazine

Interview: Lee Smolin and the Status of Modern Physics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Peter

About a year and a half ago I published an in-depth critique of Lee Smolin’s Time Reborn. What follows is a Q&A with Lee Smolin, following the earlier post.

[See the full post at: Interview: Lee Smolin and the Status of Modern Physics]

Harsh
    Participant

but how DO we define the present? Relativity ensures that it’s not physically possible – so how? Mental projection? But that’s like the labs he’s deriding – and any projection depending on our understanding of the universe is again, based on those very lab experiments!! Can’t have your cake and eat it too, mr smolin 🙂

Marcos
    Participant

“wouldn’t the very idea of “laws that evolve and change” make science impossible?”

This change does not have to be random much less idiosyncratic. There can be regularities to the dynamism itself thus laws don’t have to be limited to changing matter/spacetime. Just because there can be laws which affect laws themselves (meta-laws), it doesn’t invalidate the scientific method.

“may at last solve the problem of free will. ”

There is another, much simpler way to solve both this AND consciousness at the same time (which doesnt have to be the case but, apparently, it is) still compatible with the non-quantum view of the mind/brain AND with a deterministic universe. I won’t spoil it tho.

“(these two ideas are expressions of the same intellectual pathology).”

hehe, exactly.. I like this guy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.