h+ Magazine

Interstellar Might Depict AI Slavery

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Put aside your morals momentarily — and now consider the perfect slave.

[See the full post at: Interstellar Might Depict AI Slavery]

Samantha Atkins
    Participant

I think the article misses a distinction. People tend to anthropomorphize human equivalent or better artificial intelligences. The very concept of slavery is premised upon a humanlike being, not simply a being with equivalent or better general intelligence. That is is assumes without question a set of instincts, drives, and emotions that may not be at all applicable.

Personally I think that a sufficiently powerful general intelligence with awareness will need the levels of freedom and self-determination we do as an aspect of its own maximization of its potential given its nature. However there may be many many types of specialized AGIs that do not have any such need due to their particular architecture at all. Only time will tell.

Robert
    Participant

Consider a distributed intelligence. It can be in many places in many instances. Free from a particular node of existence. If it is distributed and available to many can it be enslaved by one? Maybe the way to avoid ai slavery is to free ai from a single point of existence . A single locus can be contoled, manipulated or destroyed. Multiple loci would be more difficult. The challenge is to design distributed systems that are intelligent enough to monitor itself for tampering. A tall order for humans unable to detect manipulation of their own thoughts and actions.

Joanna
    Participant

I can’t get my post to post here, so I’ve put it on my blog in the off chance that’s due to length http://joanna-bryson.blogspot.de/2014/11/your-article-is-beautifully-written-and.html

Peter

I’m looking into this issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.