h+ Magazine

Google is Tracking Your Every Move

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Location services are considered a serious threat to privacy because location data managed by companies like Google could be used for online surveillance.

[See the full post at: Google is Tracking Your Every Move]

Samantha Atkins
    Participant

I am curious why I am seeing more posts in various places of late worrying about location services. These are actually opt-in, opt-out on your device and on an app by app basis (at least on iOS). So there is no great danger here. Also, the government has been able to find anyone they wish that carries a cell phone within 20 meters by cell tower triangulation for years. The NSA is snooping far far deeper than mere location information needed for some apps such as google maps to do part of their functionality. Yet people are focusing more energy at the moment against Google than the government. This is a bit bizarre. Do note that it is government that has the power to initiate force, i.e., to charge you with crimes, throw you in jail and of late to simply accuse you of being a terrorist and render you however it pleases. Neither Google nor any other private company has any such power.

So lets focus on the much much larger and very real threat and stop spreading FUD about something as simple as location services.

Debi
    Participant

I like the idea of having the map with my movements for my OWN purposes. I learned before we ever had smart phones with location services that sometimes it does not make any real difference. The government, if they want you, have so many other ways anyway. As for commercial purposes…well, you know what they say, Just don’t make yourself interesting enough to catch the attention of the media. Peter, you had a speaker and writer on here a while back; again a lot of my old material has been lost and I do not know his name nor the name of the book, sorry, I will get it; he had said in an old book where he talked about losing our privacy in the ways that we are talking about. He said, ultimately that the trick was to just
    be
    boring.

Peter

I think location services are not dangerous inherently but they can be misused. Forget the government case, the government can locate people if they need to do it, but consider that your neighbors, a professional burglar, a blackmailer, or a stalker might misuse these types of services too. The benefits outweigh the risks, but we shouldn’t ignore privacy considerations or security issues in designing systems. It is technically feasible to make this sort of system quite hard to attack, for example by encrypting all location data stored. However these sorts of things are commonly ignored or given low priority by developers and users generally speaking have no insight into the security and privacy measures taken by providers of these services.

We certainly shouldn’t limit or outlaw location based services, but we absolutely should design them according to best practices for ensuring privacy and security. The Internet of Things is coming and we are not ready for all the privacy implications of omnipresent smart communicating devices.

That’s why I think it is worth talking about.

Debi
    Participant

I agree with you, Peter. I have spoken often of how it is easy to be deceived by people that we do not know just on the www internet,
    let alone those who have access or possible access to our location via the google maps. The maps do not work with me. Not sure why, but I can
    live with that. I know what it is like to fully loose privacy, but it is not something that i can really talk about because I really want to be able to
    get a home to live in. Not wanting to go into a tent right now;
    I stopped putting my stuff about that out into publick venue about two years ago and said then that i
    would not read it anymore until I had it in a cohesive whole that worked into a larger story, which I am working on.
    And not until I have friends/other who is going to sift through it all
    with me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.