h+ Magazine

Can Transhumanism Be Saved? — An Open Letter to the Transhumanist Movement

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Something is rotten in the state of transhumanism.

[See the full post at: Can Transhumanism Be Saved? — An Open Letter to the Transhumanist Movement]

ValkyrieIce
    Participant

And that is why I wrote this: http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/mcgill20150929

Like so many other movements, for many people it came down once again to a status game.

That’s why I don’t concern myself with my “popularity” nor am I afraid of writing articles that piss people off, point out truths they don’t want to hear, and constantly point out that these little games are going to very drastically curtailed by the technology we are developing, NO MATTER HOW HARD PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN FIGHT TO KEEP THE STATUS GAME GOING.

The levelers are coming. You are already feeling the effects of their development. The news is filled daily with the ongoing progress of transparency being forced onto those who want to remain in the shadows. Every day you see more and more articles of advances in manufacturing, medicine, and computing that will end scarcity, break the current economic system, and shatter the entire class system we’ve been forced to endure by those who have felt it is their “divine right” to consider themselves “better” than others.

We’re programmed to create hierarchies. I doubt we will ever overcome that without removing something we would consider vital to “being human”, but there has never been a real need to make those hierarchies so overwhelmingly vertical. Such extremes exist because so few people can actually think in long terms, because those “at the top” can’t see past their own instant gratification, and have forced that view on everyone else. And when many people gain a small measure of success, be it wealth, or “fame” or “leadership” of a group, rather than thinking about how to best increase that success in a manner that benefits the entire group, they default to preening mode. “Hey look at me! I am a success! I AM BETTER THAN YOU!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!”

Fortunately, I don’t have to worry about how stupid we tend to be as apes. The cumulative effect of co-operative progress is far more powerful than all our peacocking instincts.

Deary
    Participant

Thank you for this! I know there’s no reason to assume that the technological advances that will allow for us to transcend the limits of our humanity (or expand them exponentially) would in any way automatically go hand-in-hand with emotional/intellectual/social intelligence and accountability … but there’s nothing wrong with an open letter calling for it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.